I’ve been so inspired to bake lately that I recently bought quite a few baking books to add to my rather small collection. My confidence is growing and I’m getting to the stage where I feel comfortable experimenting more with ingredients.
But I still love good old fashioned favourites like carrot and walnut cake. I like plenty of texture to my food so as well as grated carrot and walnuts I added in some mixed nuts and orange soaked sultanas for good measure. The result was a very flavoursome and satisfying cake. The lemon cream cheese frosting takes it to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Ingredients for the cake:
200g grated carrot
170g self raising flour
150ml sunflower oil
140g soft light brown sugar
40g chopped walnuts (leave a small amount to the side to scatter over the icing)
30g chopped nuts
juice of one orange
1tsp bicarbonate soda
2tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground ginger
Ingredients for the frosting:
200g cream cheese
85g icing sugar, sifted
50g butter, softened
zest of one lemon
What to do:
1. Put your oven to 180C.
2. Using a microwave proof dish pour the orange juice over the sultanas and heat in the microwave for one minute. Leave to rest.
3. Whisk together the oil and eggs in a bowl.
4. Add all the other cake ingredients together in a large bowl before then adding the oil/egg mixture. Mix it all thoroughly.
5. Lightly grease your cake tin with butter or oil and then scoop your cake mixture into the container. Place in the middle of the oven for approximately one hour.
6. In a bowl beat together the ingredients for the frosting with an electric whisk.
7. Once the cake has been baked, allow to cool fully before icing the top and decorating with walnuts.