Homemade pancakes are the way to go this Pancake Tuesday. Resist the urge to buy store bought ones or make shortcuts and get pre-made pancake batter. Gather together a few key ingredients and make these amazing big fluffy pancakes. Truly filling, truly satisfying.
Top your large pancake stack off with Keen dark chocolate almond butter (my new obsession!) and chopped banana and a little swirl of syrup and you’ll be in pancake heaven. Perfect for a big hearty breakfast or a weekend treat.
Ingredients to make three large pancakes:
135g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 bananas (depending on how much you love bananas!) and 2/3 tbsp of chocolate almond butter for decoration
1. Put your oven on at a low heat to keep the pancakes warm whilst you make them.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then whisk in the melted butter.
4. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan (I used an omelette pan) over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it’s melted, add a ladle-full sized portion of batter. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm (½in) thick.
6. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
7. If you’re using the chocolate almond butter put the quantity you have in a microwave proof dish and heat it up for approximately one minute. Smooth it on top of your pancakes. Chop up your banana(s) and decorate you pancake stack lovingly! Serve with a little syrup if you fancy.